Ways to Maintain Your Oral Health
Is it possible to keep your teeth for life? According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), you can. At Brilliant Smiles Dental in Peachtree City, GA, Dr. James Reid Roberts will show you ways to maintain oral health. You can look and feel your very best.
Preventing problems before they begin
Here are some ways to improve and maintain a healthy smile:
- Eat well. Avoid sugar. Drink a lot of water. Limit acidic foods and alcohol.
- Stop smoking and using smokeless tobacco as they cause oral cancer, tooth decay and periodontal disease.
- Be aware of what's happening in your mouth. If something doesn't look or feel right, contact your general family dentist in Peachtree City, GA, right away.
- Brush your teeth twice a day with a fluoride toothpaste. Be gentle, use a soft brush. Stay with it for a full two minutes in the morning and at bedtime.
- Floss once a day to remove leftover food residues which collect oral bacteria and harden into tartar. Flossing combats gum disease, the leading cause of tooth loss in the United States (according to the Center for Disease Control).
- Control chronic health problems such as diabetes. Report all your routine medications to Dr. Roberts. Tell your hygienist of any changes in your health status.
- Wear a mouth guard if you play sports, such a hockey or baseball.
- Wear a bite guard if you clench your teeth.
- Visit your dentist and hygienist twice a year for a cleaning and check-up.
- Change your toothbrush when it's worn or after having a cold or the flu.
Your in-office treatments
Prevention is the foundation of all we do at Brilliant Smiles Dental. Your hygienist scales your teeth to remove harmful plaque and tartar. She also takes diagnostic X-rays on a set schedule, charts your gum pockets, polishes your teeth and alerts Dr. Roberts to changes in your teeth and gum tissue.
Your general family dentist examines you for:
- Signs of gum disease and tooth decay
- Changes in your crowns, fillings, veneers, and other dental work
- Jaw joint function
- Proper dental bite
- Oral cancer
- Excessive wear and tear on tooth surfaces
As part of your complete dental care plan, Dr. Roberts will outline restorative care you need (such as fillings), discuss your cosmetic goals (teeth whitening, for instance) and show you ways to improve your oral care at home. He also offers innovative treatments such as plastic sealants for cavity-prone molars and fluoride treatments to strengthen your tooth enamel.
We're here to help
Look great and feel your best with optimal oral health. Team up with Dr. James Reid Roberts, your general family dentist at Brilliant Smiles Dental in Peachtree City, GA.
Our offices are currently closed due to the Coronavirus crisis. However, as always, we will respond to your emergency dental needs. Phone us at (770) 486-8516.